Quote

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world"
Nelson Mandela

Monday, August 25, 2014

Inspiration, For a New School Year


     
I get so excited this time of year because of the opportunity that’s ahead of me.  I get to TEACH!!!   As a teacher we have one of the most impacting jobs there are in our society.  We are in constant contact with children to ensure they receive a world class education and will be successful after school in a career or college.  We should be proud of what we do on a daily basis.  We are amazing educators who care about our students so make sure you share that passion with everyone.  Let your voice be heard.    I wish more people had the opportunity to feel the thrill of teaching.  

 Before you get into full teaching mode take a minute and think about a teacher that impacted you.  What did they do, how did they make you feel, what made them different from all the other teachers you had.  Could you take on everyday with all of your students the same way that teacher took on everyday with you? 

Mrs. Nancy Burke was a high school physical education and health teacher at South Lakes High School in Reston, Virginia. She also was an amazing athletic trainer.  There were frustrating days in high school where I did not see the value of my education.  There were times that I wished I was not a school.  I never went to Mrs. Burke for help, she just took the time when she saw me down to chat, check-in and see how I was doing, most of the time I would say I'm fine, even though I wasn't.  That did not stop Mrs. Burke she kept on asking and eventually I opened up.  She became an integral part of my education, she was a mentor.  Whenever life got hard, demanding or confusing she was there with encouraging words, failure was not an option.  She was also there in my accomplishments and triumphs celebrating with me.  Did Mrs. Burke have to take extra time out of her day to mentor me, no, but she did it anyway because she cared.  She wanted me to succeed in all aspects of life.  Because of her influence I have vowed to never let a student think they are a failure.    

I challenge you to reach out all of your students, make sure their voices are heard.  Give them the opportunity and resources to be successful. I truly believe its not about how smart our students are but about how hard they work and the ability to never give up.  I also challenge you to advocate for our great profession, we truly are heroes, sometimes even superheroes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment